1. Freshmen Conversation - this class is a supplement to the book the students are learning from in other classes. My goal is to get them speaking and using the vocabulary and grammar structure as much as possible. Getting them to speak is easy...getting them to speak in English is not so easy.
2. Public Speaking - this is a sophomore level class. It is a new course this year: they have combined two classes into one and I am the first to teach it. My goal is to prepare them to make all kinds of public speeches.
3. Writing - this is a junior level class. It is also a new course this year. I am building the curriculum for this one from scratch. It is the most time consuming, and I am glad it is only one block - see below. It is also the most grading intensive.
4. Course Book - every level takes this class, but I am teaching the SuperSeniors. These are the fifth year students that are getting ready to take the exit exam (Maturita) and graduate from high school. This course has a text book (Praise the Lord!) and the students speak English nearly fluently.
The school schedule here is very different from America. Our school year is broken up into quarters, which we call Blocks. One block is approximately 9 weeks long, sometimes a little longer. Classes might meet for one block, two blocks, or four blocks. My Writing and Public Speaking classes are one block - so the class will repeat with new students every 9-10 weeks. My Course Book and Conversation classes are four blocks, so a full year.
My schedule is below.
Classes are abbreviated as follows: Conversation = CO, Public Speaking = PS, Writing = WR, Course Book = CB
Freshmen = 1, Sophomore = 2, etc.
the A, B, C, and Ds are the groups that each class is broken into. The number is the classroom.
The periods when I do not have a class are open/office times. We also sub for each other during those open times. For example, this Monday, I will be subbing during 2nd period for another English teacher. I also have lunch duty on Mondays and Hall duty on Fridays.
Check out the school website - you'll find the link to change the language to English on the very top right over the logo of the tree and lamp post. There are some neat things there and it will give you a better feel for the school. www.bilgym.sk
No comments:
Post a Comment